Brocktorff, Charles Frederick de (Danish, 1775-1850)
Brocktorff had fought in the Napoleonic wars as an infantry officer with the forces of the Electorate of Hanover before moving to England after 1809. When he settled in Malta in circa 1810, he opened an art studio in Valletta where his business prospered and his four artist sons eventually joined to continue to enrich the family enterprise.
Brocktorff, who painted mainly for visitors and servicemen, captured whatever was interesting to foreign eyes, such as St Johns Co-Cathedral, the Governors Palace, the Auberges, the Public Library and magnificent views of the Grand Harbour. He also portrayed various classes of Maltese society for the benefit of English buyers who were curious to know how the Maltese lived.