The ramparts shown in the drawing can be identified as the right flank of Firenzuola Bastion, one of the main bastions of the Santa Margherita enceinte, Bormla (Malta), begun in 1638 and completed in the 1720s. The cemetery shown in the drawing was actually located in the ditch of this fortified enceinte. It was known as the Rock Gate Cemetery.
We are grateful to Maroma Camilleri, Head Readers Services, at the National Library of Malta for providing us with this information. The watercolour has since been purchased by the Libraries of Malta.