Harvey, Viola Gertrude (1875-1954)
Viola Gertrude Harvey was born on the 9th June 1875 in St John's, Newfoundland, Canada. She was the only daughter of Augustus William Harvey and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Harvey, née Walker. She dedicated her life to her art and loved to travel visiting family in America, and travelling to Italy, Bermuda, Canada, and France, where she spent her last of her days. She had chestnut brown hair, green eyes and remained single throughout her life.
On the 15th September 1930, accompanied by her brother Edward Feild, and his wife, Lurlina, Viola returned from Bermuda and resettled in New York. Edward and his wife returned to their home in Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania, USA, whilst Viola continued with her travels, this time heading for Paris, where she had her first notable success. In early June 1928, Miss Harvey's sculptures were exhibited in the entrance hall of the Comédie des Champs Elysées theatre (avenue Montaigne, Paris). After her success she spent the later years of her life in the countryside in the quaint village of Houx, situated 12 or so miles from the towns of Chartres and Rambouillet. Viola spent many happy days in her home, La Bergerie, sculpting and, anticipating that the end wasn't far; she even created her own tombstone. She died on the 25th September 1954.