Joseph Murray Ince was born in London in April 1806 but moved with his parents to the Presteigne area in early childhood, and is believed to have attended John Beddoes Free Grammar School when it was still on its original site opposite the church. After receiving some private tuition in Hereford from David Cox he moved to London for further training in 1826. He returned to Presteigne in 1830 and became a successful landscape painter. He also retained his premises in London as he needed to be near the galleries and wealthy people who could buy his work.
St Andrew’s Church
In the watercolour, we can see the church as it looked before restoration took place in 1868. On the exterior, the design was changed to reflect the popular Gothic Revival architecture at the time.
This item has been cleaned by an accredited paper conservator although there is still some slight discolouration in the sky from the old glue on the back of the picture it does not distract from the image. The watercolour has been beautifully mounted with an added wash-line.