The artist was previously thought to have been James Morgan but has been identified as John Nixon by Guy Peppiatt, the London based dealer in 18th and 19th century British watercolours.
‘Terraces at Regents Park’ is a rare and important visual reference in the history and development of London. The subject matter and date (1816) point firmly to the achievements of the architects John Nash and James Morgan.
In 1811 a lease on part of the Crown Estate, Marylebone Farm, was due to expire. The land would become available for the Crown to develop. The Commissioners of Woods and Forests had their architects draw up a plan for the future which John Nash produced in 1811. It was a bold plan for a new park for a gracious living for London’s elite, and a major redesign of part of central London to accommodate a route from the park to Westminster. The credit for Regent’s Park, as this project became, rightly belongs to Nash, but it was Morgan who supervised the work of planting, road making and laying out the park, including the lake, under Nash’s direction.
In 1816 the building of the Islington Tunnel was in progress and dominated Morgan’s life until it was completed in 1818. Three quarters of a mile long, it was built with explosives and wheelbarrows, horses, and manual labour. In 1818 the eminent engineer Thomas Telford was asked to report on the tunnel. He reported: “materials and workmanship excellent, and its direction perfectly straight”.
‘View in Regents Park looking towards Islington & The City’ has been sold