Marston, Reginald St.Clair (1886-1943)
Reginald St. Clair Marston was born in Willenhall, near Wolverhampton on 15 January 1886, son of Edmund Dunton Marston (1847-1926), a door bolt marker, and his wife Charlotte née Shepherd. Reginald was known as St Clair Marston, a painter and occasional etcher who worked mainly in oils and was noted for his serene landscape paintings. He exhibited at Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1923 ‘Santa Maria, Degli Angeli, below Assisi’. He married another landscape painter, Freda Clulow (1895-1949) in Florence, Italy 1922. She exhibited widely and was the only female artist commissioned by British Rail to produce posters and the shallow horizontal paintings used for artwork in railway carriages. In 1939 both artists were living at Little Garth, Dedham in Essex. Reginald exhibited extensively in the 1920s and 30s and was a member of the RBA and ROI, exhibiting at the RBA 92 times, the ROI 32 times and the Royal Academy 20 times besides numerous other galleries. He died at Paddington, London in 1943.