Just posted on our website is an album containing approximately 140 original works by the Paton family and circle. Pmalder Cottage at Greenock was the home of Allan Park Paton (1817 or 1818–1905), a writer and patron of the arts who had been associated with many important artists including Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Burne-Jones. He was one of the most accomplished and eminent citizens of the 19th century Greenock, probably best remembered as the Librarian of the Watt Library, a post he held for 25 years. Before his librarianship he was a notary, a poet, and a Shakespearian scholar. He also wrote regular articles for the Greenock Advertiser e.g. “Notes about Greenock”. Allan was the eldest of 9 children of John Paton, writer in Greenock, and his wife Margaret Park. His father died when he was 17 and he became responsible for the welfare and education of his brothers and sisters. He did not marry until he was 46 but unfortunately his wife, Annabella Rodgers, died of Tuberculosis after only 6 years of marriage, leaving a son and daughter. At the time of Annabella’s death he was already the librarian of the Watt for which the Greenock Advertiser had reported he was “so peculiarly qualified” because of his interest in old books and manuscripts. The library was his life and even at the age of 74 he was reluctant to retire. He was also responsible for the placement of stained glass windows at the Old West Kirk of Greenock. In 1864 after 23 years of closure the church was being restored, Rossetti and Burne Jones were commissioned by Allan to make designs for four windows. E.B.J. designed Faith, Music, & The Adoration of the Lamb while D.G.R. designed Charity. With the album is a small unsigned watercolour along with newspaper clippings and a photo which tell the story of the windows of Old West Kirk.