Wood, Edgar (1860-1935)
Architect, artist and draftsman, Edgar Wood practised from Manchester at the turn of the 20th century and gained a considerable reputation in the United Kingdom. He was regarded as a proponent of the Arts and Crafts movement which was prevalent between 1860 and 1910.
Wood’s work is principally domestic, but he designed several churches and small commercial buildings. He worked as an individual designer, mostly with only one assistant, and confined himself to the smaller type of building that he could control personally. Although he was active in Manchester for over twenty years, most of his work is in nearby towns, such as Rochdale, Oldham and Middleton (of which he was native), and in outlying districts such as Bramhall and Hale. He contributed to Manchester in various ways. He was a founder of the Northern Art Workers’ Guild in 1896, one of the major provincial societies within the Arts and Crafts Movement and was president of the Manchester Society of Architects from 1911–12. The outbreak of The Great War in 1914 brought building construction to something of a halt but Wood continued to work until he retired in 1921. The last building that he worked on was a house in Heywood, Manchester called Edgecroft.
Wood moved to Monte Calvario, near Imperia, on the Italian Riviera to live in a house that he had designed. He spent his retirement travelling, painting and designing a garden for his retirement home. He died on October 12, 1935 at Monte Calvario and he is buried at Diano Maria.